Monday, May 29, 2006

...if I had money

I wonder what I'd actually do with money if I had money to blow on trivial things...

Oh baby, I use to have money. And did I ever blow it on trivial things. Trivial is a relevant and/or flexible term. But when you don't have money, you learn real quick what's necessary and what's trivial.

It's funny to listen to the justifications we all make for trivial spending.

On a semi-related note...

Today I brought Obi-Wan a small 30cc roto-tiller that needed to be fixed. I haven't been able to get it started in over a year. Since I use Obi-Wan's big tiller for our garden, this small one is perfect for flower beds, thus I only need it twice a year. But it would be the perfect sized tiller to weed in between the rows of Obi-Wan's garden...if it would run.

Using the K.I.S.S. method (keep it simple stupid), Obi-Wan found a small fuel line that was disconnected from the carburetor pump bubble. That was what kept it from starting for the last year. I am an idiot. I saw that fuel line and assumed it was supposed to be hanging out in the open (can you see why I'm an agent as I have no marketable skills?).

But I remember thinking a few months ago that if I had money, I'd have taken that tiller to the repair shop. And those guys would have charged me at least $30 to get it running. And they never would have told me it was an easy fix. $30...down the tubes. And that's big money in my universe these days.

I guess it's good to be in a place where I have to search for alternative means and short cuts for spending money.

I hope the lessons I learn from this period in life will stick with me forever.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I have no skills for the glorious market either. Thankfully the glorious CEO has better plans for us anyway, not easier, just better.