Thursday, September 01, 2005

Prophets on 102.7 "THE BEAR"

I like prophets. Prophetic words are cool. In my charasmatic club days prophetic stuff ran rampent. I don't know if that's a good thing. Prophetic giftings are still a semi-mystery to me. When used properly it's obvious the words come from the CEO. When used improperly, it's abusive and people's lives can get really disfunctional. Really.

In the world of charismania, many people run after the folks that gladly let everyone know they're prophets. These guys usually speak ear-tickeling words. I've always appreciated the quiet prophets, the ones who keep their gift under wraps until the CEO really makes them speak, which is usually once in a great while. Sometimes years.

However, I have a new favorite prophet. Or prophets. Prophet Daltry and Prophet Townsend wrote and sang these words the year I was born.

Won't Get Fooled Again

The whole point of this song by The Who is summed up in the very last line, "Meet the new boss...Same as the old boss". Basically - don't get fooled by something that appears to be different than what you just left (ie: Same old same old).

Like sin. If you get out of one sin and right into another, well meet the new boss.

I don't have too many educated (or prophetic) comments on the new church trend called 'emergent church'. I try not to make it a practice to criticize my christian brothers in any capacity, although not being part of the club makes me a target for assumed criticism. I've read 2 'emergent' books thus far. I liked them fairly well. But I'm still trying to gather if this is "meet the new boss, same as the old boss" material. In some ways, being outside the church and meeting with other Christians in a "rigid flexable" timetable (as I do) sounds emergent. Perhaps I'm a pioneer! But on the other hand, emergent also sounds like, "hey...instead of pews we got COUCHES and coffee!". Meet the new boss.

I'll take the coffee.

No comments: