Monday, September 05, 2005

Dollar Store Dignity

Does anyone have knowledge of, an inside scoop, or opinions on Dollar Stores? Agent Wife is a big fan of them. I'm indifferent yet I lean towards disliking them. Yes, some items are priced very low and are good deals but many of the exact same items are cheaper at HEB or Wal-Mart. Plus a lot of Dollar Store items are just cheap crap.

I bring up the subject here because because I notice a huge difference in the presentation and levels of dignity between Dollar Stores located in poor neighborhoods and the ones in nicer neighborhoods of the mother city. Is that a coincidence? I haven't researched enough. And don't worry - I won't call Al Sharpton over this matter...or any matter. But my main example, Dollar General, has 2 stores near my neighborhood (a poorer side of town). And they're both a mess. Merchandise is always in disarray and the overall atmosphere is undignified (bright lights, stained ceilings and floors, apathetic employees, etc). And poor people flock to these stores - as if they assume crappy stores is what they deserve. But the Dollar General in River Oaks shopping center and the new one on Catclaw Drive are much nicer.

What gives?

No comments: