Saturday, September 24, 2005

The Shaman

The Shaman from Oklahoma came through the mother city this weekend to talk an deliver teachings to the izzy group. We met at a bed-n-breakfast in Buffalo Gap. The owners generously lent it to us for the day.

I really don't know how to describe The Shaman. I've 'known of' him and/or known him from a distance for about 10 years. On the surface, his teachings can almost come off as heady or intellectual - things I usually avoid. But after I listen to them, sit, and digest them it's obvious they're the most simple, Jesus-centered messages. No hoity-toityness. Just truth.

This weekend's message was centered around "The Return to Jesus' Mission". I think this is what the emergent crowd preaches often. Jesus' mission (returning to serving the poor, bringing healing, set captives free, etc.) as opposed to maintaining 'a meeting'.

One quote in particular that stayed with me: something like "Community is formed out of work. Work is not necessarily formed out of community". In recent years the word 'community' is one I receive with caution because I think many have abused this word and used it to manipulate others to maintain and attend 'the meeting'. ("You NEED community...come to church this Sunday"). The Shaman's quote means that if a group is serving others (ie: doing Jesus' MISSION as opposed to THE MEETING) that group will naturally develope community. If the community IS the meeting then Jesus' mission will not necessarily grow out of it.

I fully expect for others to disagree, but you can't refute the large numbers of Jesus-loving FOLLOWERS (good term by Dustin) who have drifted away from 'the meeting' to do 'the mission'.

Anyway, the Shaman is planning to return in October to continue with this message. And it looks like I may get to spend an afternoon with him, which is something I need since I really don't know him and would like to.

I plan to interrogate him.

This report filed by B.

3 comments:

g13 said...

agent b,

i read that you attended a.c.u. are you now, or were you ever, a part of the church of Christ?

i grew up in the christian churches, churches of christ background, where we had instrumental music and preyed upon church of christ girls who had big, um, hearts for God.

over and out,

agent gentry

p.s. - i may or may not pose as a lifeway employee from time to time.

Agent B said...

Yes. I grew up in the c-o-C. I have not been with them in a good 10 years. My parents still are, inlaws still are, have many friends who still are, etc.

Abilene is sort of the mecca to the coc world. Their influence is all over town. Our mayor and 4 of 6 city counsel members are with the coc.

The coc roots don't run very deep in me or my family. I am very thankful for this heritage of mine. I'm not mad or offended at them, etc. I guess I just stumbled upon some different path...one that appears one step at a time daily and can't be all "figured out" in a single bible study. Or maybe it can.

So...we have similar backgrounds. I have a theory that coc members (and related like yours) have a high level of sarcasm. Too much to explain here. I fight sarcasm daily as I'm convinced it's not something we can really grow from...but it SURE is easy and fun. Oh well...

I'm very interested in your Lifeway employment. Just curious to the ins & outs of your faith and how it is effected. Thanks for stopping in and keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Agent B,

I've caught up as far as I can on your blog, devouring every link and link to link and every available page.

Commenting on this one because it reminds me of a theme we have at work.

In Cherokee there is a word 'ga du gi' or the more formal 'sga du gi' which means "coming together to work for the good of the community". It's kind of like the barn-raising mentality of the Amish... everyone chips in to help everyone else out on big projects.

Anyway, some of our communities have become reliant on gov't handouts, but others have clung to the concept of ga du gi and work to help each other.

Some of our programs are about offering communities the opportunity to go back to ga du gi.

And what we've found is that when they do work together, their community grows in a lot more ways than anyone would've thought. For instance, if the group is building community buildings or homes for each other they of course get the home or community building when they are done, but along the way they help each other out in any number of basic, traditional ways.

I am convinced that a community grows by working together.

Even more, a community grows by doing something that many people would find unpleasant (for instance manual labor) and allowing it to bond them.

Think of it as fraternity hazing with a social benefit. But you don't get community by having potlucks after Church on the 5th Sunday of the month.

You get community by actually doing something.