Monday, September 12, 2005

Catfish nugget (preaching)

I had dinner at Obi-Wan's last night. It was a fun affair with Agent Wife and our offspring and including my dad (Agent Dad?) and his wife visiting us from upstate NY this week.

I pride myself on not being too picky about food - I'll eat anything (I think). But if you were to take me to a restaurant of my choice, anything involving seafood or fish might be my last pick. I don't hate fish...I just didn't grow up around it much. However, I would stick my crotch in a waffle iron for 4 hours to get a plate of Obi-Wan's fried catfish nuggets - which was the main menu item for the evening. Thankfully, he doesn't have such a price on them. Dang good eatin'.

At Obi-Wan's request I picked up some nuggets at the store while shopping for my family that morning. When I brought them over, Obi-Wan's fired up the cooking grease and preaching began. For the first time in a few months I really spilled my guts to him. I needed to. While reluctant to write about it here, Agent Wife and I are hitting a crisis of sorts that has began to come to a boil this weekend. It's not about our marriage or anything. This matter involves decisions that could alter the course of our secret agent lives.

Obi-Wan's preaching can sound like rambling sometimes. Rabbit's get chased and side stories pop up over and over. But his overall message went something like this: he's always disliked the house he lives in. He bought it 35 years ago because wife #1 fell in love with it. "I didn't like it then, still don't like it now, but 'dis what da LORD give me and now I'm use to it. And it's turned out OK." As I interpret it: the CEO may give you something you don't want, but it's what you need. And in the end all is well.

I've got to chew on that for a few weeks. It was a good and Godly message that may take me a while to figure out how AND IF it fits into my situation. I think this word IS for me, though.

No comments: