Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Motorcycle manna

For 2 years I have not received a paycheck. The CEO has always sent us exactly what we need month to month. I don't know how else to explain this. It's even more difficult to explain this to parents or in-laws. They think we're nuts. We probably are.

A year ago we were hit with the news that all possible funding sources for us and the ministry had dried up. This really hurt as I was due to become a dad in 6 weeks. I, like the guys in the boat with my friend Jesus, began to panic at the sight of the storm. And, of course, He showed me this was no 'big deal' and calmed the storm. Long story short, the CEO always provided in an efficient manner and we never went without anything. Which is very reassuring to me because a at least a couple times a year I get discouraged with this secret agent crap and wonder if I'm doing the right thing in life. Yet deep down I know I am. But a steady paycheck would sure be nice.

Well 6 weeks ago I again get bleak news on the financial front. We have enough money in the bank to get our household through the September budget then we'll have zero for October with no 'predictable' prospect of pay. I fell for the temptation of looking through the classifieds for work last week. Didn't see anyone hiring undercover agents or anything with my limited skills.

Then out of the blue I get a weird phone call from my old High School friend M.C. Hammer. Hammer & I have known each other since 5th grade in our hometown of Houston. We lost touch after graduation (over 15 years ago) yet through the miracle of the internet I found him last year so we met up for lunch one day in the metroplex (where he now lives) in Aug '04. We've emailed several times since but last week I get his phone call:
"B. I'm trying to get a new job in Ft. Worth so I need to get rid of some stuff before the move. I have a dirt motorbike I need to get rid of. I don't have time to mess with it. Do you think you could sell it for me in your fair mother city? You can keep the money."
Supposedly this bike's worth between $900-$1400.

Hammer's always been predictably weird. His weird antics are not predictable. Just the fact that he'll be weird is predictable. God is kinda like Hammer. I never know how he's going to provide. I just know He will.

No comments: