Thursday, December 29, 2005

texas fires FYI

Tuesday en route to Houston we left the fair mother city about noon (way later than expected, but what's the rush) and reached the first city on highway 36, Cross Plains about 12:30-12:45p.

About half a mile before we reached the town (west side) all drivers including me couldn't help but notice the small, out-of-control grass fire on the side of the highway (driver's side left). As we slowly drove past it the heat was intense, which surprised me because the flames were only 2 feet off the ground. I called 911 and gave the best directions to its location. We could see the black towering smoke in the rear view mirror for another 10 miles or so.

I'm not saying that I "saved the day" by calling 911, because I'm sure many of the other dozen or so motorists did the same. But had we left the mother city any later, who knows what dangers may have fell on us...or at least delays in travel. Than you lord.

No comments: