Saturday, December 31, 2005

home town highlights

This trip to Houston was good. It was a vacation. I mentally put myself in vacation mode.

Besides the fires mentioned earlier (drove back through Cross Plains today - it's a charred waste land) and the greatest christmas gift ever known to man, I have only two things to mention here:

1) While making a pilgrimage to the spot where I proposed to Agent Wife (the water wall at the former Transco Tower, now the Williams Tower), we followed the ever popular "what the hell" thought process and visited The Galleria. We weren't on a money spending mission...just a casual observation. Well, for me that's what it was. The Galleria in Houston is The quintessential shopping experience within this country's 4th largest city. They have every big name New York merchant within one building. Some stores don't look like stores. More like avant garde art galleries titled with french words I can't pronounce and displaying a handful of ridiculously priced items on display. My favorite was the [A]bercrombie & [F]itch store with a window display for "casual jeans" that were all faded and ripped like most of my 7 year old pants. Price: $198. Guess I don't have the brilliance to be a merchant. This was a good observation assignment for me. Over time I have discovered that to better learn the culture I am immersered in, sometimes I need to spend a little time within a different culture. Mission accomplished.

2) We decided to enjoy some mindless fun and test drive mom's new DVD player all at the same time. At the advice of a friend we rented Napoleon Dynamite. Words cannot describe my feelings for this. I watched it twice. The best-ever movie made...ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw Napoleon Dynamite before it came out nation wide. The first time we sat dumb-founded...the second time we laughed...a lot...the third...fourth...now we own it. When Abbey (S's 7 yr old daughter) got here she saw it and said NAPOLEON DYNAMITE......I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

The Galleria...oh yes I remember picking out my engagement ring there...if I were marrying a millionaire...it was fun trying on though!

Agent B said...

I can't say enough about that movie. Well...I could write a big review, but who would care. Plus, I'd violate the mission statement of the agent b files...

The subtle commentary on small town life...very reminicant of the fair mother city and surrounding towns. I laugh thinking about the movie.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely...I knew that same kind of kid growing up!!! His name was Jason Damm...he wore those same shoes and was so strange! He even drew me a picture once...no upper lip shading though.