Friday, December 02, 2005

of death and agents...

My assignment in life has me deal with death more often than I'd prefer.

Before I was placed in a deep cover role, I was assigned to a public benevolent operation for the working poor and homeless (the izzy group). During this assignment I discovered that the best way to "get in tight" with those we served was to become friends with them (see John 15 in The Book) as opposed to some sort of sterile director/client relationship.

I grew close to a number of people. And unfortunately, the people I grew close to typically have short life spans due to various habits and circumstances that the poor fall victim to: substance addictions, lack of health care resources, outdoor elements, mental disorders, etc.

I'm not a preacher but I've conducted two funerals, both for close friends of mine. It sucks. I can think of at least a dozen or so funerals I went to during the years of the izzy operation and about 3 in recent years.

All death sucks. No one enjoys it. Death snuck up on most all of my friends. They were happy and normal one day. Then the next day they were dead by some bad batch of drugs or they unknowingly had a disease or God knows what. Boom. They're here one day, gone the next. They weren't dying in a hospice for days where you have time to say 'good bye' or anything like that.

One really close friend of mine was mysteriously missing from our big food outreach one night. He was suppose to run the thing. I get a call that he's in the emergency room and things don't look good. I get there and the doc was just about to let me in to his room. As I touched the door knob those flashing lights on the wall go off. They push me out of the way and a chaplain ushers me into a "counseling" room. He dies.

I missed seeing him by 5 seconds.

Another guy I met was once homeless and living in the mesquite scrub brush camps by the tracks. He had come in for various help for months. Then he disappeared for months. Then he shows months later to tell me he's got a house and a job and just wanted to "thank" me for all the "help" and to invite me and Agent Wife over for dinner that week. We came and ate and had a good time. Five days later I read his name in the obituaries. He had unknowingly developed pneumonia while living out in the camps.

Now, as a secret agent, I'm dealing with death in an entirely different way: the slow, day to day, natural digression of an 88 year old diabetic. And this sucks just as bad as the others if not worse.

I watch Obi-Wan struggle with his body more and more daily. His blood sugar gets dangerously low because he forgets to eat or take his insulin. His breathing is sounding harsher than normal. He moves much slower and stumbles more than ever.

But I wanna tell you something, Death...you bastard...I'm not scared of you. Anymore.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in college, I thought I'd likely have to face death lots going into the profession I was headed into. I'd never attended a funeral to that point let alone thought of speaking at one.

To address this perceived lack in my experience, I accepted a job at a funeral home. I worked there while I was in college. I went to 100's of funerals. And probably performed more than 20. I got past my anxieties. Now I'm usually the coolest cucumber at funerals.

As much as I hated that job, it allowed me to get past the fury of death and focus on the living when they often need it most.

I love your last name. That may be the best paraphrase (intended or not) I've ever heard.

Anonymous said...

My last line above should have been...

I love your last line. That may be the best paraphrase (intended or not) I've ever heard.

I guess your last name of 'B' is okay too. (okay, 2AM - obviously time to close the laptop lid and go to sleep...goodnight)

Agent B said...

Wow. I've always wanted to interview & interrogate a funeral home employee...preferably a funeral home owner.

In small cities like the mother city and smaller, funeral home owners are often some of the wealthiest people.

I have yet to deal directly with a funeral home, so I have unconfounded suspicions about them (the 1st funeral I conducted was more of a memorial service. The body was donated to science by a brother, etc).

Aren't these services priced ridiculously high?? My wife & I talked about this often. If she dies first, she would come back from the dead and strangle me if I spend actual money for a box to bury her in. Yet, if I was caught up in the emotions of death, how could I resist buying the most fancy, comfy looking casket?

Don't funeral homes profit from people's emotions? Curious. Confirm my suspicions, BF. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm convinced they do. But none of them will tell you that. When I was doing it (10+ years ago), the average funeral was $8k. And they were constantly trying to find ways to increase it.

Every funeral home offers plain boxes for a few hundred dollars but they never put them out on display. Also if someone really has to be seen in a nice casket, they can be rented. Personally I can't understand putting an 8000 dollar box in the ground for something to rot in. That's like buying gold lined trashbags.

Me? Cremation or donation. I'm not letting my family go through the expense of a funeral.

Agent B said...

And cremation? How much does that usually run? And do they really use the ashes from said body...and not ashes from some guy's BBQ pit.

Thanks for this info.

Anonymous said...

When I was aware of prices, it was 200 bucks or so. State regulations made them only burn one at a time that all had to go into one box when they were done. But the funeral homes still tried to sell people the gold-plated urns after. Funeral plots are cheaper for ashes too.

I guess I'm full of random trivia...