Saturday, January 14, 2006

Texas tour III

Friday, I drove down to the Marble Falls area to pick up my dad at Grandaddy B's. I think dad had all he could stand so he's in the fair mother city with me for much of the next few weeks until he catches his plane out of Austin.

On our way out of the Texas hill country we stopped by a nursing home to visit my Great Aunt. Visiting a relative from my side of the family is an extremely rare event for me. There has never been a bond between any of us that I know of. Or maybe there is and I was somehow left out. Which is OK. I'm typically an isolationist.

My Great Aunt is my grandmother's (Grandaddy B's first wife and my dad's mom) oldest sister. My grandmother died in 1988 when I was in high school. I haven't seen my Great Aunt since I was 5 or 6. She looks a lot like grandma and is just as nice as her. We had a good time visiting her.

I've also been learning more about my family. Like how my grandma's brother was a minister. I didn't know there were any ministers in my family. He was schooled at nearby Howard Payne University in the 1940's or 50's. Who would have known...

No comments: