Thursday, January 12, 2006

Reduced to a logo

Today at HEB I saw a guy wearing a t-shirt that said Jesus in some kind of hip logo format. Not an uncommon sight. Especially in the fair mother city where any of the 145 local churches (as well as youth groups, spiritual events, and music groups) have their own t-shirt advertising their tribe.

Throughout my life I've mostly been a neutralist, or one who chooses not to advertise things. Exceptions abound. In my youth I've always been proud to wear over priced concert t-shirts as I wanted everyone to know I was a fan of said band...as if anyone cared. Now in my 30's, I'm proud to wear an occasional t-shirt that advertises a geographical place I've been, especially if it's unique and obscure to the fair mother city (Moose Jaw anyone??).

I've never put bumper stickers on my car. Ever. Except once, I put some hippie, pro-earth nonsense from greenpeace back in college. I got it free from a Edie Brickell show (one of their last). Or maybe I paid money. Probably too much. Anyway, it lasted a month after my dad pulled it off when I was over seas.

But I know for a fact that I've never had a pro-Jesus shirt or bumper sticker. I don't know why. I think I know why. But it's hard to explain. I think.

Are believers "weak christians" by refusing to have some Jesus logo on a shirt or bumper sticker? No. But why wouldn't I wear one? Am I ashamed of my god? No. Am I embarrassed to be seen in public with a cool christian tag on my clothing? Maybe.

A friend of mine explained that he didn't want a Jesus bumper sticker on his car because he didn't want people blaming Jesus for his crappy driving. I guess I don't wear Jesus shirts for similar reasons (my lousy fashions and sloppy appearance would bring shame on the kingdom for eternity).

Maybe part of my lack of faith apparel is because I don't want to cheapen my god. But I don't want to get into a finger pointing match with those who do wear such faith logos.

I still don't know where to go with this subject. Maybe that's why I usually advertise nothing. I think I'd rather my life speak for itself than a shirt or sticker say something half-assed.

6 comments:

Before Girl said...

I don't think there is anything wrong with not wanting to advertise anything on your car or yourself. I think bumper stickers are kinda pointless because if I'm driving behind someone, someone I don't know, why the hell should I care about his opinion on what mayor to vote for, if the driver is a princess or a brat, or what the driver thinks of any number of issues. Plus, when you get rid of the car, there goes the bumper sticker. As for on clothing-I would rather not for the most part because I don't want to have to deal with people reading my chest and then wanting to engage in a conversation about what it says. Of course, I do have some exceptions though, so I'm not completely immune to this.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you could go with a t shirt that like the song, says 'Jesus is just all right with me'. This would leave it open to interpretation whether you are just trying to make an ironical statement. If someone asks, you could break into a musical 'Oh Yeaaaaahhhhhhhh'. What was that song all about anyway?

Mike Murrow said...

i have a theory about bumperstickers. the more bumperstickers someone has on their car the less they know who they are. the number of bumperstickers is inversly proprotional to the level of that persons ID development, or directly proportional to how much effort they are putting into creating a persona.

so maybe you don't have bumperstickers because you are a reletively well adjusted human being.

another related theory is that the more effort someone puts into convincing others of their own opinions the more that i think they are really just trying to convince themselves of what they believe. if you need everyone else to know what you believe and you feel the need to advertise it on your shirt or car you are probably insicure about your beliefs.

just theories mind you.

Agent B said...

"so maybe you don't have bumperstickers because you are a reletively well adjusted human being."

I think that's one of the better compliments I've received in a while. Maybe not the best ever. But definately the best today. Thank you Fletch.

I share your theories too. I stated the same theories (more of less) to friends a long time ago, but I can't prove it. So I'll credit you for those theories. Good stuff.

And Uni...I'll just cut to the chase and where a Doobie Bros shirt. That'll leave people guessing all types of stuff.

Mike Murrow said...

i have a shirt that says "just say no" that is circled with a line through it. it is green.

if you know anything about santa cruz you know it is full of stoners.

i was wearing that shirt one day on the way to play disc golf (a true stoner sport and i love it) and this stoner chick walks up and has this confused look on her face.

"you know what green means right?"

"uh, yeah, and i am not interested, thanks."

"no, it means you are for hemp, but your shirt says just say no"

"ok"

"so what does it mean!" she was nearly in a panic now...

"it is from the 80's, nancy's just say no campaign..."

blank stare.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I call bumper stickers, car window art, pink/yellow/green ribbons attached to vehicles "pieces of flair" after the stuff Jennifer Aniston's character had to wear in the movie Office Space.

I agree that if someone has a bunch of flair on their car it just means they have a bunch of flair on their car. If your philosophy has been summed up by strangers and offered for sale on an oblong piece of adhesive plastic, then perhaps you should deepen your philosphy.