Wednesday, January 04, 2006

diminishing strength

Spent a couple of moments with Obi-Wan today. Went to the bank within the grocery store. He wanted to cash some checks his kids and church gave him for christmas, then buy a few groceries. I knew it wasn't going to be a big grocery outing because he didn't bring a list.

I'm slowly coping with the fact that Obi-Wan is aging rapidly. Six months ago a trip like this to the grocery store would be nothing to him. But now he's getting so weak. He was really whipped by the time we got back to the car. Dozens of times I've offered to go get his groceries by myself so he wouldn't have to get out. But he looks forward to getting out. And I think buying food and going to the bank is one of his last bits of independence.

I went back over at 7:50p for Criminal Minds night. Turned out to be a rerun. But when I got there he was trying to get his dinner started...about 2 hours later than normal. By not eating earlier, his strength was zapped. He couldn't even hold a glass of water up to his mouth. I finally got him situated with his food and he ate which made him feel better.

I never would have known that food intake has that much control on the strength of the elderly. And like tonight, he forgets to eat sometimes which is dangerous to his health. If I skip a meal my stomach might let me know, but I can still function normally.

It hurts to see him go through this natural process called aging.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry...I know this must be hard to watch your friend going through the aging process.

The last couple of years my Granny was alive eating for her was a chore too. My mom tried and tried to get her to drink Ensure (a milk like drink that has all of the calories he needs) she wouldn't drink it so mom made milk shakes with it and smoothies...she drank it that way and she didn't have to worry about her missing a meal.

Before Girl said...

My father was that way too. The elderly don't need to eat as much or sleep as much, but if they miss it, it's worse for them. And they are reluctant to let go of the things that tire them out because in a way, it's like giving in. The best you can do is keep offering to do stuff for him, always letting him know that you're doing it because you want to, not because you think you need to.

Anonymous said...

agent b, what a wonderful Lord to put you and agent w on the same block at the very time in this man's life that he needed you! The CEO's way's are higher than ours! If the new agent o is a boy are you going to name him Obi-Wan? oh no the name game begins again!

james said...

Always encouraged by your work with Obi-Wan, B. I recall in one of my Grandfather's last letters before passing, he mentioned feeling "weak as a kitten." Like you, I can't imagine what this must be like. I only hope in old age, I have another as faithful as you are to provide some companionship.

cheers man,

Agent B said...

All - thank you for your words of wisdom & encouragement. That's what I like about this blog thing...it puts me in touch with people who may have been through some of the experiences I'm going through now. And you can give me advice. So, thanks.

James, your words are always a joy to read. Thanks for the edifications. Hope to meet you someday.

james said...

And I too hope.

Mike Murrow said...

you are a good man b, a good man. i think the neglect of the elderly by the church is one of our top 5 sins. glad you are out there.

Dustin said...

hey B, thanks for your always insightful words on my blog. i can tell by what you said about the job description that we think very similarly in that regard. thanks for taking the time for your thoughts.