Monday, January 30, 2006

More revolution

Good comments were left on the recent post of Barna's Revolution. If you're interested in this book (either positively or negatively), I highly recommend the interview that our own special agent Genty conducted...way back when he was employed by liteway.com.

I especially enjoy Barna's answer on the emergent movement and its possible relation to "revolution". Perhaps because his answer is identical to my opinions ("hey, instead of pews, we've got couches!"). He just worded it better.

1 comment:

Agent B said...

1) I refuse to join any group, thus advance their cause. If Barna wants to call me a "revolutionary", so be it. But I'm not calling myself that. I'm just doing what I'm called to do and so far, that lines up w/ Barna's definition of a revolutionary. Good for him.

2) In the book, Barna himself mandates that no "rev' should pick fights or create an us vs them with the local church. He basically quotes Jesus: serve them, turn the other cheek, etc. But he does state that revs should expect the church to persecute the revs to a degree. I agree as i experience this with most every chritian I meet who learns I don't "go" to church.

In his book, Barna says quite a few revs (like you) are active in local churches. But their spiritual life is not defined by the church. Also (like me) many revs are not active in local churches. Their spiritual life is defined by other means and activities.

To my knowledge, I have not (nor do I hope to ever) position myself against "them", the church. But like I said and like Barna predicts, the church has lashed out against me. Oh well...