Sunday, October 23, 2005

Party weekend

Agent Offspring's first ever birthday party was today. I feel like I've entered a right of passage: a parent who's hosted a kid party. Well, Agent Wife did all the actual planning & hosting. I just did my Dad duties and grilled 48 burgers and took photos.

Our house was the freakin' U.N. We literally had English, Spanish (some Mexican friends), and French (some west African friends) speaking going on all at once. Also several neighbors and friends with little kids came by.

We originally planned an outdoor party but the high was like 50F today, which is artic for Texans (and sub-artic for Africans). So I froze my butt off and grilled while everyone played games inside. But they all came outside for the pinata bash. Agent Wife made a dog-shaped pinata. She must have used super glue, epoxy, and cement. No such stick would work on this baby. The kids should have used an ax to swing.

It was a fun party but no match for a Valdez kid party (see Sept 11, 2005 entry). And no comparison to Manuel's birthday party next door from last night. Manuel is Frieda Sanford's Mexican boyfriend. I say Mexican because he's...from Mexico (as opposed to Hispania). The party consisted of good BBQ grub, tortillas on the grill (the best way to eat them imo), and a hell of a lot of cheap beer. This was consumed by me, Agent Wife, Manuel's nephew from Austin, some coworkers, Frieda, and a bunch of under-aged drinkers.

I've never been in a beer drinking situation with teens. I didn't know what to think. It was easy to jump into judgement mind-mode. These kids were so imature, trying to out drink each other and show off. I'm a light drinker. After two, it gets pointless for me. One young woman started spilling her life's woes to Agent Wife and sharing how CPS took her three kids away, etc. Lord, this woman needs you. Open up her heart for you.

The kids who were drinking (and shall remain nameless) are ones I've known for a long time. Even back from the izzy food pantry days. Lord, may they not fall into the clutches of alcohol. Show them that adults can be responsible with beer.

No comments: