Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Legend of "Finger" Joe

**We begin a new series here on the Agent B Files. "The Legend of..." posts will report on the many 'characters' from the "izzy" group family's past (izzy=nickname of the ministry I'm associated with). There are many in the izzy family - too many to mention. These reports will be presented when there's recent contact with the individual...or if there's a positive reason to mention someone from the past as I generally try to avoid nostalgia. The September 6th, 2005 entry (titled "Momo") is the first unofficial post in the series, so we begin with the second...**

I was running a failed errand today in the Millenium Falcon. At the corner of E. Hwy 80 & Judge Ely I see "Finger Joe" flying a sign. So I open the door to yell at him. My electric window isn't working. Most every electric gizmo in the Falcon fails one month or the other, but she'll still outrun the empire.

Finger Joe is an old standby from the old, old, ancient izzy days. Even back when The Bossman and some others use to gather at a homeless camp known as the hole in the wall. He'd come by the church building very rarely. His memorable schtick was that his middle finger on his left hand was injured. He couldn't move it. He could close all of his fingers on that hand but the middle one...which stuck straight out. And he'd always introduce himself or start a conversation with something like, "Hey...I can't get a job. This finger won't work" [showing it - flipping the bird]. It's hilarious because he has such an invasive personality. And he's inebriated about 90% of the time, so he's flipping the bird while practically yelling. The sad thing is that I think he was serious and not looking for an excuse to flip off people. I've seen this schtick pulled on many unsuspecting church people. Which still makes me laugh. I can only remember seeing Finger Joe 100% sober only once, maybe twice. And he was like...a real peaceful, almost scholarly guy.

So today I ask what's up. And he mumbles something unintelligable than gives me the finger line. But this time he had his middle & ring finger taped together with black electrical tape. I don't know what that was about.

I'm surprised he is still in the mother city. And that he remembered me. Lord, I miss Finger Joe. Take good care of him.

1 comment:

Agent B said...

well...that would explain why his presence is absent from the streets. Thanks.