Saturday, October 29, 2005

Maiden voyage

Obi-Wan, Agent Offspring & I went on a walk in the 'hood today. The weather was perfect. I love autumn in the mother city. Temp around 70F (as opposed to my wife's hometown in Canada where it's now like...-10C), sunny, a little breezy, and pecans dropping on the street.

After a week of owning an electric wheelchair, Obi-Wan finally set sail today with AO (in a stroller) & I in tow. We went up & down Undercover Lane then went a few blocks down to the dollar store and back.

Those electric wheelchairs are tough to maneuver. It has an easy little joy stick to operate, but basically there's 3 directions: forward, backward, and spinning around in a 180 (or 360 if you don't stop it quick enough). It's very tricky to veer left or right while traveling forward.

Obi-Wan was doing OK until we got to the store, where I forgot how narrow the isles were. Oh man...here comes the test.

Once Obi-Wan & I were at a grocery store where he decided to try one of the complimentary electric scooters. I thought that was amazing since he always seemed adamant about walking on his own. But I guess he knows his own limits. This scooter didn't have any "brakes". To stop it, you just let go of the trigger. But arthritis makes his hands move slow...which caused him to mow down a couple of produce displays. I still laugh thinking about that. Especially since he put his feet down to try and stop it.

Well, he passed the dollar store test. The employees were really accommodating but the other customers weren't.

So here's to the maiden voyage, both Herbie Hancock's and Obi-Wan's. May there be many more travels.

No comments: