Sunday, October 09, 2005

Middle man (the twisted world of non-prof Part I)

There's a great story (or in my view, an expose') in the local paper this morning about the mother city's chapter of The United Way. I'm not a fan of The United Way. I'm a huge critic of the non-prof world in general, but there's MANY more posts on that subject, I'm sure.

The United Way is the epitome of what I refer to as 'outsourcing one's giving'. They're a "middle-man". And most people want to eliminate middle men. If you have money that you want to give to another in need, WHY skip over the heads of the needy to hand it to an institution? And that instituion obviously keeps a percentage to keep themselves afloat (a reported 36% cash or 12% with "services", depending how you define "services"). Then their board chooses where the money goes - which is always another institution (a local "mom-n-pop" non-prof or a Salvation Army, etc). Then THAT 2nd institution keeps a percentage to keep their ship running, etc. So by the time you give a buck to a group like The United Way, actual POOR PEOPLE might get helped indirectly with like...20-40 cents of that dollar (my unscientific speculation...but I've BEEN a part of the non-prof machine so trust me on this). My favorite Simpson's quote is by Krusty the clown - when questioned about the proceeds from the benefit recording for the boy in the well: "Hey...them limos out back ain't free".

My only dealings with the local United Way is when I was employed at a local TV station 10 years ago. Once a year the managers hit up all us $6/hour employees to give to the annual United Way campaign. I think I was one of the few that refused to join in. Hey...I couldn't justify giving to something I didn't know much about plus I could barely survive on my pay as is. They really frowned upon not joining in. I suspect there was some sort of kick-back/benefit from the United Way to the station if a certain amount was donated.

My favorite lines from today's story is a quote from this newspaper's publisher (and UW board member...no agenda THERE) stating that his employees (ie: the chick writing this story) really enjoyed giving to the UW. Then her following statement made me spew my coffee with one of those Nelson laugh's (HA-ha):

It's appropriate to bring United Way fund-raising into the workplace because of the number of people touched by its efforts, said Abilene Reporter-News publisher and United Way board member George Cogswell III.

''I believe it, and I share the message,'' Cogswell said.

Last year, the Reporter-News ranked No. 4 among company donors.

Employees respond ''because they wanted to,'' he said. ''They really put their money where their heart is. There's no arm twisting.''

Reporter-News employees who donate to the United Way are invited to a party at Cogswell's home and are given paid days off from work.

I hope this young reporter still has her job tommorrow.

Anyway, I understand that groups like The United Way help individuals who WANT to give, but work full time, have no way of knowing WHERE, if not better WHO to give to. So the UW says give to us, and we'll take care of it. As I'll state over & over in this blog...if at all possible...give of yourself. Donate YOU. Build a relationship with someone. Be REAL. Don't take them on like some "project". Don't place yourself higher than them. Be real friends based on the book's writing in John 15. Cut out the middle man.

1 comment:

Agent B said...

It's a huge conspiracy, I'm convinced. The managers/head honchos of the corporation who gives the most to the United Way gets a weekend vacation at one of the board member's ranch getaway homes. or maybe a kickback under the table.

It's all a crock. Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. And Matt 6 says to give to the needy without fanfare. And here we are, competing to give the most to the UW institution.