Monday, October 17, 2005

The Bulldog

Of the Sanford teens next door the one I have the least contact with is The Bulldog. He's really a sweet kid. Very respectful to adults, or at least adults who aren't his mother.

The Bulldog has an older sister Jessie (19) who graduated last year. Well, actually the lackluster public school system politely shoved her out the door. She's a little slow, a follower, and craves some attention (a bad combination). But she's real good with young children. Then there's the younger brother The Tiger (16): the family comedian, workaholic, mechanical genius, chock full of common sense, but hates school. He recently opted out of school for court-ordered GED training so he can work full time. So that leaves the proverbial over-looked middle child The Bulldog (17): quiet, but not shy. Not real smart, but not stupid. A little outgoing, yet a little withdrawn. Like Goldie Locks and her bears...just right. Right with a fierce anger streak.

Last night two cops show up in front of my house responding to a call by the Bulldog's mother, Frieda. He got mad at her for something and threw some bricks through the glass storm door and broke some garden tools or something like that. The cops just came over to ease the situation and scare him a little. They let him go after 30 minutes and no charges were filed. And an old college friend of mine was on his way over, whom I haven't seen in years. So he's calling me asking for directions to my house and I'm saying, "it's the one with two cop cars parked in front. And a kid in handcuffs in the yard".

The Bulldog is so nice yet can snap over something stupid his mom says or a prank his wise-ass little brother pulls. His upbringing is a common story in the izzy family and the poverty culture: Mom's single and in poverty, all three kids have different dads, none of them know who their real dad is, and the only male influence in their childhood were mom's abusive boyfriends. Well, for the last 4 years they have a new uncle who seems to give them positive attention. And mom's boyfriend for the last 3 years seems to be the most consistant and positive relationship she's been in ever. And they hung around me some when they were younger. Now they're teens so I'm not cool anymore.

I don't condone The Bulldog's anger but I don't blame him for it either. I'd be the same way if I grew up in his shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I can't even imagine being in his shoes and thank God that I had such a pleasant and suportive upbringing. May we have the words, actions, love to be a friend to the angry and hurting and troubled of our street. I don't even know where or how to start!