Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Lessons in patience, lessons in greed

[soothing voice] and now..."Deep Thoughts"...with Agent B

Lesson #1 - Pecans


I never in my life thought I'd enjoy things like...trees, plants and you know...how to grow stuff. Maybe I'm learning to enjoy the simple things in life that the CEO gave us. Maybe I'm getting old.

The wife and I bought a house here on Undercover Lane 2.5 years ago. And on our property came a pecan tree. "Hey", I thought. "I've never owned a tree before. I'm gonna use it to the fullest extent". I've lived in rent houses with pecan trees in the yard. I never paid attention to them except that they were a nuisance, with all those pecans dropping in the fall, sap and such. But now I'm a pecan connoisseur. When the pecan season all said and done with in the fall of 2003 we must have had at least a five gallon bucket full or more. I looked up various pecan pie recipes and baked for the first time in my existence. I put pecans in everything, waffles, salads, cookies. Hell, someone should invent a pecan beer. And it might as well be me. Someday.


I desperately looked forward to the following fall (2004). But that's when I learned the ugly truth that pecan trees only put out once every TWO years. Crap. There were like a handful of pecans in '04 but the freaking squirrels got them all. I've since trained Agent Dog to chase squirrels and fling 'em like a rag doll if caught.

Our tree is chock full of them this year. But only a few have dropped as it's still too early. Maybe in the next two weeks. But I've learned that if you pull them out of the tree when the husks are not fully open, they will taste too squishy. They're "green", as Obi-Wan says.

So basically, pecans are teaching me patience. Which sucks because I want my pecans. Now.

Lesson #2 - Okra

The same year we moved in, Agent Wife wanted to plant a garden where a large storage shed use to be which was removed by the previous owners. I wasn't too interested but I helped anyway. All that season I maintained and watered the garden and I became obsessed with it. I love gardening now.

We're far from gardening experts. But this is our third year and we get better every year. For example...this is the first year that I didn't accidentally kill off the entire garden by July 4. It's almost November and we're still getting real good okra. I killed off everything else though. Accidentally.

Picking okra is weird. You would think that if you wanted more bang for your buck (read: bigger okra) you would leave it on the plant longer. Wrong. The longer you leave okra on the plant the more useless it becomes. It gets hard and impossible to cut through. So you can't let it grow too big. You cannot get greedy and your timing has to be perfect.

I have no freaking idea what any of this has to do with secret agent operations, but I've been thinking on this a while. Seems like the CEO is showing me something.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm okra.....and pecans.......

I used to spend HOURS up on my grandparent's roof picking up pecans from that wretched tree that hung all over their yard. But in the end Grandpa would crack them in his enormous hands and we would get to enjoy the bounty! That was in Tulsa, OK where there are pecan trees in nearly every yard!

Here in Colorado you have to buy them in bags, until Christmas time when they charge you extra for them being in the shell...what the heck?!?!

And Okra...when I moved here people didn't know what it was. I finally found some bags of breaded okra in the grocery store a couple of months ago...I'm eating it like it's going out of style!

So, thanks for the blog, took me back home for a bit...think I'll go email grandpa now.

Mike Murrow said...

get to work on that pecan beer...

you should try pecan pie... my gma had the best pecan pie...

Agent B said...

Deana - thanks for the endorsement on your blog. I tried to leave a comment but I couldn't figure it out. Sorry.

Fletch - looks like someone beat me to it.

http://www.dd26943.com/davesdreaded/brews/brews97/ddppa1/ddppa1.htm

Man...I want to learn how to brew...

Scott - Thanks. You should gather them up and sell them for like $1 a pound. You could get $30-$50 per tree

Anonymous said...

That's the problem with xanga...you have to have an account. But I check my www.deanawatson.com webpage as well...and there you don't have to have an account.

Agent B said...

Greetings to you Adam and your mentor.

And congratulations. You have now acknowledged your affiliation with the agent network by admitting to reading this here blog (which probably won't pass through your university's web filters).

Your affiliation with us jeopardizes your graduation from any of the 3 flagship denominational christian universities (well...maybe not McMurry. Nobody considers them "christian". They have like...ashtrays outside each building...). Hide, if you will.