Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Agent Nurse

As best as I can tell, Obi-Wan is getting his affairs in order. He's doing things and talking to me about private business issues that only someone near 'the end' would talk about. I'm honored that he would trust me with these things.

The End could hold off for another few years, I'm sure. But I suppose he doesn't want to be unprepared. Today began my training to administer his medicine and insulin shots, should he become unable to give it himself. I don't have a fear of needles, but...I don't know how to finish that sentence.

The average diabetic takes 5 minutes to check their blood and shoot themselves. Obi-Wan takes over 45 minutes, not only due to aging dexterity but...he's so meticulous. He's teaching me things that I discover really don't matter. Like which hand of mine I should hold the blood strip in, etc. But I should carry out his orders and not sway from the teaching. No improv here. This is serious jedi training and everything has a reason, even if I don't figure it out until later.

There's something uniquely humbling about inserting a needle into the bare skinned belly of an elderly man. And I suppose he too is humbled to expose that belly to another.

...and if this secret agent gig doesn't last much longer, maybe I can gig in the medical profession.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing the things we learn to do for those we love. Because of a rare metabolic disorder I have to give my son daily injections of b12, since he was 4 months old. The first time I did it everyone was like...oh yeah you did it...you're a pro. I smiled then went to the bathroom and cried. It shouldn't be this way...but we do what we have to for those we love. My husband has issues with needles...so I usually am the sticker. But I can't ever look at my son's face when I give it to him. He's at the point now when I give it he usually doens't flinch. But every single time I think...I just shoved that into my baby's leg.

All that to say...I feel ya!

Sally said...

You, sir, are hysterical.

code word:jqptm (can't tell you what it means,it's code, remember?)