Monday, October 03, 2005

Inspiration from a cartoon movie

As stated before, I'm not big on pop culture especially TV or movies. I promise, this is not some "I'm more spiritual than YOU" routine. Most people find joy in these entertainments. I don't. Simple as that.

There's always exceptions to the rule. I like Star Wars OK (the original 1977 one). But I can only watch it maybe once a year. I'm a sucker for The Simpsons. Little known fact: I am the first person to bring The Simpsons to the mother city back in the spring of 1990. Abilene didn't have a FOX affiliate at the time so I imported it via my mom's VCR in Houston and introduced it to my freshman dorm friends. The local ABC affiliate picked it up during season 2 and aired it 10:30 Saturday nights against SNL. Needless info.

With the aid of good beer and margaritas, Agent Wife and I can get stupid in front of Animal Planet most any weekday night. Some friends almost had to kick us out once. AW loves shows involving slapstick, animals, kids, and practical jokes and Animal Planet actually had all 4 in one show. Me - I love those animal cops shows. Why? Because I can't believe they're real. Which makes it funny. For crying out loud, on one show this guy was getting read his rights and handcuffed AT WORK because he...get this...burned the wiskers off a cat. And I've actually known people who burn cigarette butts on their kids arms and nobody hauls them off. But a guy burns wiskers and gets his Miranda Rights and a cellmate named Bruce. Hilarious. Then there's the angle on these animal cops shows that these SPCA cops can ONLY exist in big cities. Because intellectual redneck towns like the mother city wouldn't put up with animal rights nonsense. Good golly miss molly, my neighbors the Sanfords go through dogs like Oprah goes through baked hams. They'd have been locked up in the state pen to rot by now. They literally have new dogs every 1-3 months. Then these dogs die, and they get more. It's one of the aspects of the poverty culture I haven't figured out. It's like they have no value on life or love for another. Last month they got 2 new pit bull pups, to which I reply, "ahh...more dogs to neglect, eh?". They died last week.

Anyway, I'm way off subject. The majority of my view of TV stems from my 3 year stint as a master control operator & production worker at a local NBC affiliate. It's amazing how wide your eyes open to TV's falseness when you manufacture programing for a living. So when we married 7 years ago, we decided no TV in the house, period. However, Agent Wife & I received not one, but two new computers this last year. Each are equipped with the latest gizmos like DVD players. So we discover movie watching. Or really she does and I just borrow my friend's Star Wars boxed DVD set.


Anyway, we borrow this cartoon movie called The Incredibles one night. I'm sure all 4 people who read this know what The Incredibles is and I'm the last on earth to discover this *film*. But the basic story line goes like this: there's a community of super heroes out minding their own business and doing what super heroes do (saving people, fighting crime, etc.) and enjoying life doing what their "called" to do. Then one day, with circumstances beyond their control, they have to quit. They go into hiding, get "real jobs", live amongst real people, and hide their hero talents. Except occasionally they'll sneak out late and go save some people just to get it out of their system. Then low and behold, in the end they get to be super heroes again and everything is all right. The end.



It was a good movie. It did it's job: entertain and turn your brain to mud for an hour and a half. All good fun. Then Agent Wife states something profound like, "Wow. That movie really spoke to me". To which I say something dumb like, "Spoke to you? A cartoon? HA-ha (Nelson laugh)". Then she explains, "This movie is like our life. We were doing our calling. The izzy group was ministering to hundreds of poor people a week. Giving groceries, clothes, making relationships, etc. Then with circumstances beyond our control izzy was removed from the building and had no resources. We went into hiding for various reasons, moved in amongst the people, started a family, and maybe someday everything will work out." Yes, that's what I'm believing. She's right.

I'm not saying we're super heroes or anything. Just undercover operatives.

No comments: