Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the garden files (reloaded)


The gardening season has showed up on my doorstep crying in a bassinet. I embrace it, although deep down I feel ill prepared. Whatever that means.

All year I dream of the next gardening season. Even at the first sign of green sprouts from the earth's pores, I'm mentally plotting and scheming three chess moves ahead:

"Next year I'll till in...SAND and MANURE."

"My garden is baked by the sun over 90% of the day...I'll construct some sun-blocking machine with fabric and tent poles and my neighbor's tree, giving at least 50% shade"

Last year's dismal failure of a gardening year sort of took the wind out of my sails. I was totally excited about last season, until the drought burned it up and made my garden a waste of time and water.

Then, as part of an inheritance package from Obi-Wan, I received his killer tiller. It was 35 years old, 5 HP Briggs & Stratton, and could reconstruct mountains.

Then a month ago it died. The motor quit and the pull rope can no longer crank. That usually means a thrown rod or bent piston.

That usually means buy a new damn tiller.

I've never been so let down. It's now added to the ever growing pile of yard machines of mine that no longer work.

"Change" is the theme this year. So is "I don't give a crap".

If stuff grows, it grows.

No longer am I doing the white-boy, internet research way of gardening via cardboard & mulch. I'm following the advice of Obi-Wan and bra-less feminists of the 70's: go natural. It will be much more work weeding, but that will give me an excuse to be in the garden daily.

And on this note, the garden files of 2007 begin. Maybe the CEO will communicate through it again.

3 comments:

miller said...

"Obi-Wan and bra-less feminists of the 70's"

it is to laugh!

hahahahaha

peace

Deana said...

And AO1 can help with the weeding. Toddlers like pulling things up from the ground!

Anonymous said...

We have been having success with box gardening and now square foot gardening in this fair city. It does take a little time to set up the first year but well worth the effort when you see the fruit of your labor.