Thursday, June 15, 2006

Garden files #008: what gives?


I am filing this report because there is nothing to report.

This is becoming a strange year. It is mid-June and so far the garden hasn't produced jack.

Well, we got those radishes a while back. And I did harvest a bucket and a half of spinach.

Normally by this time there's tons of yellow squash and cucumbers, the tomatoes are starting to taunt me, and the bell peppers would show signs of life.

But Nope. Nada. Nothing.

Well...one bell pepper the size of a golf ball (still growing, I think).

I'm still inexperienced in the garden universe. But I'm blaming this pathetic output on an unseasonably early and lengthy heat wave. It's been in the upper 90's to 100's for 3, maybe 4 weeks now.

The garden looks lush (I water it well) but there's NO produce. Obi-Wan's garden is doing the same.

This year's garden seems to be the reflection of my life in recent years. Agent Wife and I have been going at it in what seems like FOREVER and we're waiting on some big miracles, but we've seen only small ones.

Guess we should enjoy our bell pepper. I trust that the garden will produce in time.

Truthfully...I do not despise the small miracles.

...but I am expecting the big ones too.

No comments: