Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Wednesday drama

The family & I were at Obi-Wan's house on Wednesday night two weeks ago. We were saying bye and on our way out when I caught the beginning of some crime-type drama show on the TV. I was hooked. I tell Agent Wife to take the baby on home. "I'll be home in 10 minutes", I said. Yea, right. I was there for like, another hour.

Me...the anti-TV guy...got hoodwinked into the wasteland vortex I mock and criticize often. The opening of this show, "Criminal Minds" on CBS, had all of the typical trappings for a drama's opening segment. Yet, very modern with completely new writing angles, as well as quality digital production work that shows I watched 10 years ago didn't have. I was fascinated.

OK, I admit the truth: TV for me is like giving an alcoholic a drink. I could watch it all day and never do anything with my life. Which is roughly why I choose not to own a TV. I'd never leave the house.

And I'm a huge sucker for any type of murder mystery. Which is why I love Criminal Minds and have now (as of 9pm) seen 3 episodes. It appeals to my fascination of agents. The show is about an FBI profiler unit. They track down highly intelligent serial killers by examining evidence and creating an accurate profile of the murderer. It has all the stereotypical characters: the lead guy (who reminds me of The Bossman), the 2nd banana, the token hot chick, the token black guy, and the feisty quick witted computer chick at home base. Then there's the unique character: an 18-20 soft-spoken homely boy prodigy with a 187 IQ. He's cool. So far these have been great shows.

So anyway...for the last three Wednesdays I've been a fixture at Obi-Wan's from 8-9p. He doesn't mind the company. I can't say that it's quality time together, but we get that the rest of the time.

I can't believe I just wrote a post about a TV show. What have I degenerated to? I don't have a problem. I'm not in denial.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Gosh - me, who never ever ever watches TV actually read a post about someone who never watches TV watching TV.

:)