Sunday, November 27, 2005

Institutional rant (pt. I)

Recently, I read a blog post by a local coc minister (note...in the coc universe, they despise titles like "Reverend", "Father", and "Pastor". They still use titles. Just less arrogant sounding ones. But titles none the less, like "Preaching Minister", "Pulpit Minister", or simply "Preacher" or "Minister"). I read this guy's blog fairly regularly. It's a good way to stay on top of the coc world, therefore mindset of the fair mother city. And the mother city IS the Mecca for the coc. Therefore, the city is largely influenced by the coc. Our Mayor is an elder at a coc mega church and 3 of the 6 city counsel people are coc (2 of those 3 are elders at the same mega church as the mayor).

I know the coc world real well as I was raised in it and was a graduate at ACU. This background helps me infiltrate their ranks almost without notice. I have no mission or desire to bring them down. That would be impossible if not suicide (religion killed Jesus). Besides, a lot of those folks are great people. But I love pushing their buttons anyway ("hey pastor").

So anyway, this "Preaching Minister's" blog recently noted how his church serves the impoverished neighborhood they're located in via some apartment outreach and now a weekly meal on Wednesday night for the locals.

Overlooking the "yay us, look what we do for the poor" social club attitude that plagues the mother city, I figure this is all good stuff anyway. And my first thoughts upon reading were positive (good for them).

Then upon second thought, I remembered how I use to live one block away from that church...for 5 whole years. And I don't remember them doing jack shit for the neighborhood except building a new multi million dollar add-on facility that was actually built ON the 300-400 block of that street, joining two existing buildings across from each other (hey...when 4 out of 7 of the city's most powerful government figures go to your church, altering the city's streets is a piece of cake). So, I guess building new facilities in a depressed area is serving the neighborhood. Yea, right.

Then after my cynical, jack-ass thoughts, I gave them the benefit of the doubt. OK...a church of like...2000 people...maybe 1200 in the throws of summer when local college students are gone...chock full of educated, brilliant, talented members...NOT to mention VAST financial resources beyond my imagination...

Nevermind...

Then again, they DO operate a food outreach in the downtown area. It's a very mechanical outreach, but serving the poor none the less.

Well, who the hell am I to judge. Forgive me, Lord. At least this neighborhood thing of theirs is a start, because I KNOW none of that was going on when I lived in that very neighborhood a few years ago. They're doing something now. So that's progress.

This is one small example in my reasoning and calling for not being part of the institutional church. I couldn't fathom donating my money to it. The Bachelor (owner of "The Leaf") once stated, "my offering wouldn't even pay for the toner in their copy machine that week".

The mission of Jesus involved the poor. It WAS the poor. Why throw money to keep a social club/ship afloat when the poor deserve our best. They deserve our lives.

Thank you Lord for this church's neighborhood outreach...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know what i like most about this entry...aside from the fact that my dense brain didn't pick up on "coc" as church of christ and i kept calling it cock...but that the rant heading says part I...as in there's more people...looking forward to the rest of it.

Agent B said...

Ahh..tithe. I am convinced that there is no requirement of it. Certainly not in the new testement nor in Jesus' teachings.

But that could be a whole different blog post - one that would be fueled by my convictions about money, not yours. You need to do what your heart convicts you to do.

But for me...if I understand correctly, Jesus gave of himself...his all. The widow and her coins was her all, not a portion of abundance, etc.

Jesus' words seem to talk more about the poor than any other subject, so I'd put my money/resources/self/love into that general direction.

I'm sure there are better writers on this subject than I. Agent Gentry is involved in a church of sorts. And if I understood him, they put 100% of their money to very good use. Perhaps he'll share here...

Anonymous said...

http://www.mhbcmi.org/listen/index.php

Have you listened to Rob Bell in Michigan Mars Hill? If you copy and paste that link it will take you to their messages. Listen to the Sheeo and Goats and You and Me...I've not heard a church you has it so right on.

g13 said...

scott,

there is a reason that the word tithe makes you squeamish - and i think the reason is that christians are not commanded or expected to tithe, but are expected to give sacrificially. i'm pretty sure that in one of the early traditions Jesus was recorded as saying "you've heard that it was said, give a tenth of your firstfruits to the Lord, but i say to you, give everything back to the Lord who has so graciously given to you." okay - he probably never said that directly, but his life and his teachings (think about Jesus' response to rich young ruler and the woes in luke 11 where he chastized the pharisees for tithing a tenth of everything but neglecting the justice and love of God) surely pointed us in that direction.

as for giving outside of an institutional system, i can't provide any direction per se, but i can share my experience. over the past three years i have been a part of a home church in beverly, mass. we have no overhead except for the occasionally birthday cake and incidental costs like coffee and tea (no, candles are not included in this equation), so we give all of our money to the mission of God. we have invested our money in many, many ways. here are just a few: an OMF church planting team in Thailand; rent for a church member's co-worker who was in tough straits; short term missions trips to Mexico; inner city ministry in dorchester, massachusetts; relief work in asia and mississippi; coats for local friends who are in need; investment in the local social service agency that many of us work with; helping our church members follow their dreams (i.e., make movies, become liscenced flight instructors, finish college, etc.); financial support for friends of friends who are struggling with medical bills; etc. we do have four groups that we give to on a monthly basis, but a decent percentage of our money is also invested in the real needs of people in, around or associated with our community. we keep records of all our expenditures, have respected pastors from the community check our books on occasion and are willing to open our books to anyone who has questions.

we've found that the people in our community are incredibly generous and excited about giving. we have never had to say "no" to a legitimate need of one of our members and friends due to budgetary restraints. there always seems to be enough money to assist what God is doing in the church, communities and individuals throughout the world.

anyway, that's been our experience. if you have further questions about it, i would be more than willing to discuss this issue further.

peace of Christ.