Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Ministerial contraband distribution (Pt. II)

(Cont'd)

So basically, the izzy group once gave some food away from a pantry and now we had the potential to be the supply line for the whole freaking mother city and some surrounding areas. Gotta love the CEO.

We started off small, and extremely covert and anonymous for various reasons. Not the least of which is my Matt 6:1-4 moniker. And, therefore, I saw how something like this could go to our heads (Wow. We're feeding the whole city. Yay us!). I tracked down all operations to the poor that used food as a resource. I made contact usually by entering an operation during their open hours and standing in line with all the other poor folks waiting for food. This almost blew my cover as I usually knew half the crowd by first name.

Once I made a "contact" within the proposed organization, I set up a delivery date & time. I brought the amout of food I thought they could handle based on their size of operation and storage space...taken from my mental notes from inside each organization.

To remain anonymous, I took notes from the drug sellers we use to minister to. Each organization/contact only knew me by my first name and cell phone number. I'd contact them once a month after a truck shipment came in. This was a blast. We later "exposed ourselves" as the izzy group as a means of legal protection (I had to get a signature from each organization saying they wouldn't sell the food we gave, etc). And with that we changed our distribution methods by faxing an order form and letting each group send in their wish-list order on a first-come/first-serve basis. But for the most part, izzy operated anonymously as a mass food distributor throughout the fair mother city and beyond.

This whole mission allowed me to meet a couple dozen different groups, and not all were ministries or churches. One was a government group. Another was a pregnancy counseling group that also helped young moms with baby food & supplies.

This is how I (indirectly) met Agent S, as well as Pastor Hawking, and many, MANY other wonderful folks. I plan to intoduce a few of these humble "unsung heroes" in future posts.

For two years the funding for these food trucks came and went sporadically. It started very consistant than flaked out every few months. It finally bit the dust last July. Lord willing, the contraband distribution will happen again someday. But I not only gained many new "agent" friends throughout the mother city, the CEO showed me so much insight as well (see 9/3/05 post titled 'mosaic').

I've literally been in every (or most every) ministry to the poor in the mother city. At least the ones that use food as a means of service. I've seen all levels of dignity to the poor. I know those who work within big organizations (like the Salvation Army) and I know people who are well hidden.

This was a fun mission that the CEO lined up and I'm honored I had a part in it. Thank you Lord.

2 comments:

g13 said...

God has really honored your willingness to serve him. I'm glad to know such a vagabond of virtue.

peace.

Agent B said...

Don't put ME on no pedestal. Just doing my gig.

I'm sure I can become a jerk of a jackass in nothing flat.

Thanks for you & all th Bostonian's friendship.