Friday, November 04, 2005

The Leaf

If secret agents in the fair mother city had a unofficial public meeting place it would be The Leaf.

The mother city's premier and only cigar bar, The Leaf is a gathering of college-aged cynics, crotchety old retired business men, and everyone in between. It carries a wide variety of cigars ranging from $1-$36 a piece (I think). And as of a year ago, The Leaf is now a full service coffee bar (woo-hoo!).

An old college buddy of mine (who I'll refer to as the mother city's most eligible bachelor) owns the joint and started it back around '98 or '99. The Leaf is just his 'toy' business, as his real bread-n-butter involves a business that builds auto AC compressors. The Bachelor was once part of a coc mega-church...and don't think they didn't give him hell for creating a cigar shop. Before the coffee idea, he had plans to turn it into a high-end beer-on-tap joint (something the mother city STILL lacks). I think he nixed those plans out of respect for his mother's wishes.

They once hosted live music where I've played many a gig with the 10 caliber. I loved it. Five minutes before the gig I'd walk in...10 shooter on my back...and these cigar chomping patrons would slowly gaze in my direction with a glaze of imperfection. The look from their stogey-dangling faces muttered, "...what the hell's THIS guy gonna do?" Then I'd start playing and as the old adage goes, music DOES sooth the savage jack-ass. They welcomed me with open arms ever since. This is a far cry from the disneyland-esque receptivity from the family-friendly coffee shops that rule local night life. Unfortunately, the ASCAP goons have been harassing the Leaf's management so the music is on pause.

The Bachelor use to support the izzy group via proceeds from a certain product in his store. I love it. The only corporate sponsor we ever had was a tobacco shop. This came through after some big name non-prof in town "refused to take my dirty cigar money" to which I reply, "WE'LL take your dirty cigar money".

This morning, Pastor Hawking & I gathered with around the main table with two hanger-ons to discuss a dream/venture I have that I've yet to discuss here. Maybe later. We also just tried to get to know each other better. Pastor Hawking smokes a real cigar. But if I'm gonna smoke anything, I prefer Nat Sherman's "Black and Gold" cigarettes. They're comparable to a quality cigar but with the commitment equivalence of a one night stand. Not that I approve or partake of half-assed commitments or anything. I just enjoy being finished with a tobacco product in less than 5 minutes if I so choose. My body can't handle some of the serious cigars offered there.

The Bossman recently spent an evening at The Leaf. I believe his new found observation was something like, "The Leaf is a place Christians can go and not get judged".

May that realness spill into the rest of the mother city.

No comments: