Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Folks in the hood (pt. II)

(cont'd)

Mr. Buckley (my racist neighbor) - He's 82 years old and his wife's quite a bit younger than him (64?). He served on a B-24 in WWII out of England and claims witness to seeing the rumored German jet fighters (the first jets ever made, predecessor to US F-16's). He sits in a lawn chair out on his driveway with his little wiener dog when the weather is nice. He can be very negative. Everything is "gawdam this and that", etc. He really has nothing positive to say about black people. When Pastor Rod drives by and waves, Mr. Buckley refers to him as "n****r preacher". He once told me how some black kids beat him up and humiliated him way back in high school. He's hated the whole race ever since. Somehow, I managed to politely inform him that Agent Wife is half black. People often let an incident in their past effect the whole course of their life. I know I almost did.

Sebastian and Jenny - These kids are brother and sister, aged 9 & 7. They live way down at the other end of the street with their mom, Carole, who works at one of the Dollar stores near our block, and Carole's boyfriend Pedro, who works as a trucker. I've only met Pedro once - at Agent Offspring's B-Day party. S & J are really sweet kids who desire a lot of attention, so Agent Wife generously gives it to them. Sebastian and Jenny love to come over and play board games, play with Agent Offspring, and ask questions about our marriage and family life. I think that deep down, every kid has a desire for both a mom and a dad and some semblance of a "normal" family...whatever that means.

Amy & Joe - They are the newest members of the block. They arrived in the fair mother city two months ago thanks to hurricane Rita. They lived and worked in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area until they fled the storm and lost everything. They have a 9 year old daughter and two smaller kids. Amy's still looking for work while Joe found a teaching job at the elementary school 4 blocks away (nice - and getting a job in the shrinking AISD can't be easy, especially mid-year). Agent Wife met them a while back and told me about this couple...who actually want to have a neighborhood BBQ (that's right up our alley). SO last week I met them and I recognized Amy from somewhere in my past. She and I were in ACU marching band together her freshman year (my 1st senior year, I was a 5 year student). She was in my 'section'. God, I hope I wasn't a jack-ass to her back then. I barely remember her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know one person's name on my street...he's our next door neighbor. He helped us move rocks into our back yard. It's a strange place Colorado...people here are so friendly...until you're home...then they want to keep to themselves. So different from growing up and the neighbors telling your parents when you got in at night...in case they didn't know.

Agent B said...

I would bet money that your unknown neighbors know exactly when you arrive/leave your house. Or at least they know more about you than you'd expect...

Seriously...I'd bet it's not necessarily a CO thing. You and your husband probably: a) live in a mid/upper mid class neighborhood and b) in a suburb of a large US city. And I'd bet you grew up in a smaller town and/or "poorer" (very relative term) neighborhood.

...just my secret agent/profiler abilities at work...

Anonymous said...

dang...are you stalking us?

you are totally right on there. I grew up small town Oklahoma, in way poorer neighborhoods than this. my first house on my own was lovingly referred to by all as the crack-house. it was a shot-gun house that was actually a duplex and you could hear the neighbors do everything...EVERYTHING.

When my grandparents came to visit here for the first time to visit me in Denver they were slack-jawed...my dad was the same way when he came when max was born. my parents never owned houses, so this one was so "fancy" and our house is nowhere near an overly expensive house for Denver area.

thanks for your comment on my site. i wish we could take Max to free concerts, i think he would really love live music. he really can't be in any sort of crowds though due to his low immunity. Steve plays guitar and keyboard though and we give him mini concerts here.

Agent B said...

Wow. I had a crack-house once. But it was the 3rd house "on my own". The 1st was named "Stonehenge". 2nd - "The Projects". The crack-house was good livin'...

And I lived in a duplex like the one you described. I could stand in my large closet and it was like 'being' in my neighbor's living room. I could hear, smell, and smoke everything they did.

...and no, I'm not a stalker. Glad to know I'm getting better at profiling. TV has taught me something...