Sunday, December 02, 2007

evang-e-droppings #009


It was another weekend on the Evang-e-droppings Eradication Operation. We netted a whopping 22 tracts. This weekend the tract of choice was the home-grown purple one by the local tract crew.

Last week there were absolutely none to be found. Zero. That kind of sucked because it was cold and rainy and I went out anyway. But there were tons of beer bottles in various parking lots to be picked up – way more than usual. At first I assumed the local tract crew took a week off since it was Thanksgiving. But then I wondered if maybe the night club was closed that weekend, thus patrons had their own parties in the parking lot. I don’t know.

I have yet to officially announce this, but my family and I will be in Canada for almost an entire month beginning next week. I plan to pick up tracts this coming weekend (Dec 9), but if any locals care to take over this operation for any of the next four weekends, be my guest. It’s easy and it only takes an hour or less. I can train you on Dec 9 if you wish.

This operation has existed for four months now. And I had no idea it would last this long. I am still quasi-reluctant to brazenly criticize another believer’s means of spreading the gospel – even if it’s a tactic that I see little if any fruit in.

But the more I pick up evang-e-droppings, the more passionate I become, not so much about the operation, but passionate against a hell message as a means of guilting people into a life of faith.

I have been thinking a lot about drive-by evangelism. At first, it’s easy to recognize my disdain: there is no relationship involved. It’s “Here, Jesus loves you” or whatever, while you hand a stranger some paper and move on to the next.

But the more I read these tracts themselves, I can’t seem to find any love in them.

I John 4 and I Corinthians 13 tell us that god is love. Everything of the CEO is of love, otherwise it’s all just useless noise.

Also, I’ve been pondering two basic approaches to christianity and its accompanying churches: 1) hate/hell or 2) love/father-heart. There are ills within both camps. And of course there are many gray areas and exceptions. More on that later.

Still seeking silence within the cacophony.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

have a good month,brother.
and remember,
that you are the church
and God's love through you and your faith in Jesus matters.

i pray for your faith to renain in the Son of God, Immanuel.
The Love of God to you and your family, through my heart.
your sister, nancy.

Agent B said...

Very kind of you. Thanks for the words.

Deana said...

hi there...was i graced by your presence on my page earlier, or was that agent wife? either way...i am reading each time you post...and poo on me for not commenting each time! we're nearly moved out of our house, and moving in with some friends in their basement. life is about to get even more interesting.

Agent X said...

B,

I am not back yet, per se, but I may be around occasionally in the near future. Also may drop in on A-town in a few weeks to see if I can stir up a future for my future again.

Anyway, point being, I will try to KIT a little better in the coming days...

Happy Holidays to you and yours...

Agent X

Agent B said...

Hi Deana. Yeah, it's been a while. Good to know you finally sold your house. Hope all goes well.

X - Wow. Agent X came up for air within the nether-regions of deep cover. Very good to hear from you. I don't know if I'll be around in a few weeks, so email me.