Wednesday, August 06, 2008

padawan #001: demo

I am having a blast on the jedi padawan gig. It’s only part time, so I’m allowed up to 25 or 30 hours a week. I wish I could be there a full 40 hours. I really REALLY wish I could drop the pruning boy gig with Son & Dad Tree Service like a rock. Maybe in due time.

I joined this current project with the jedi master from day one. We started with a cruddy house and are transforming it into something livable and sell-able.

The first step in the process is demo (as in demolition). Destroying the old. Violently removing everything that is not staying. Taking it away by force.

Typical demo tools are: hammer, various pry-bars, and a sawzall. Sledge hammers and circular saws make cameos on occasion.

Demo can take several days, depending how much transformation will take place.

This week I found myself in “the zen” several times.

The zen: wearing safety goggles, ear muffs, and operating something loud and repetitive.

The CEO of the universe communicates to me during the zen quite often, even when the zen involved swinging a sledge hammer at a cast iron tub. That was a virgin experience for me.

I find it no coincidence that the CEO shows me the importance of the demo process during the zen so shortly after my hell and back experience.

I think he’s on to something.

No comments: