Thursday, July 26, 2007

eyeglasses for Obi-Wan


On behalf of Obi-Wan, I ask for your help.

He needs glasses. Bad. His “good” pair is now missing a lens. His secondary pair is so old that its prescription doesn’t work on him anymore.

He lives on a limited social security income, half of which goes to monthly utility bills and food, the other half towards medical bills for his multiple hospital stays in the last 18 months. I know for certain he owes over $7500 plus other various doctors that throw in new bills every month.

Obi-Wan thinks a new pair of glasses and the visit to the eye doctor would cost around $400-$500.

I am flat broke. I have no money to help him with at this time. I told him I’d ask a few friends.

So I’m pulling a stunt here for the first time and asking for money.

If anyone and everyone who reads this has the ability or desire to help my 90-year old friend and mentor Obi-Wan, please do.

My friend the jack-of-all-trades (Miller Talbot) has agreed to be the keeper of the purse. If you want to send a check or whatever, please email him here for mailing instructions.

I figure, what’s $500. Maybe 20 people sending $25 or 10 sending $50 or whatever.

You all have my word: all funds collected will go to the purchase of eyeglasses and any related doctor costs. Any funds above and beyond that price will go towards his medical debts. I help him write his checks for his bills most every day.

And yes, I realize that in the light of the “kiss the ass that feeds you” posts, asking for money on this blog seems unlike me. Well, maybe I’m changing. I don’t know. I still follow the Uncle George method of fund raising (ie: go to the CEO alone). That probably won’t change. I guess. But I thought this would be good to give people an opportunity to give to Obi-Wan.

10 comments:

Leanne Stewart said...

so, he needs to go to the doctor first to know which prescription he needs and then buy the glasses?

Agent B said...

yup.

Leanne Stewart said...

got it. check your email.

Amanda said...

I clicked on the link you left to email your friend, but an error message comes up on my screen because my default mail client has not been installed. Is there any other way to get a hold of him. My email address is alexis_anoe1@yahoo.com. He can email me if that would be easier!

Mike said...

I don't see anything wrong with asking, especially for the needs of others. Jesus was homeless, and was completely dependent on the ministry of others. I've been in a similar situation, but my pride kept me from seeking help when I needed it. I have since learned that people want to serve others, they just need to know how they can help. Ask and you shall receive.

Agent B said...

Amanda (and all)...

Miller is at millertalbot AT gmail DOT com

Thank you.

trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
trish said...

http://www.preventblindness.org/vlc/resources.htm

Go to that website you might find something useful. Sam's does free vision screenings. The Lion's Club also pays for glasses for people too. I can help pay for a visit to the eye doctor at Sam's if you make the appointment.

Agent B said...

Thanks for the info Tang (and others via email). I will gladly gather all info possible on this subject as I obviously know little about eyewear (I'm 20/20). And I'm all about saving a buck and finding a good deal.

Based on 8 years of reading about the poor in The Book, and thus 8 years of hands-on experience, I have developed a personal philosophy about giving...especially giving to poor people: give the best you possibly can.

This is not to say that these resource groups or Lions Clubs give out crap.

But people like Obi-Wan are use to receiving our leftovers. They are use to standing in lines, filling out forms, jumping through hoops, and dancing to our tune in order to get needs met.

And as undignified as those events can be, I'd like to contribute to the opposite: dignity.

I mean, I figure $500 is nothing to some people. So, like casting a net, I'm tossing one out and seeing what the tide brings in. Someone here could probably write a check for the whole amount and not even miss it. I wish that were me sometimes...

...because then I could take Obi-Wan to his eye doctor, get his prescription, then go to the optical shop and say "which pair do you want" as opposed to "here's what you get".

Kind of a kin to Jesus turning that water in to the best wine...

Jenelle said...

I like your heart.