Friday, February 17, 2006

Kurt

I've had opportunity to get to know Kurt today (briefly mentioned in this post).

Occasionally I come across a homeless person who completely breaks the mold of the standard homeless persona. That would be Kurt. This 68 year old docile guy could be your grandfather. Sweet, hard-working, and honest, he has no "issues". If I was just reading this and not writing this, I wouldn't believe it. Well, we all have issues with something somewhere. But homeless people's issues are usually obvious. I've drilled Kurt fairly hard today. He's just the real deal. A honest, loving Jesus follower who was dealt a lousy hand in life and lives homeless as the result...and has no bitterness about it.

Raised in an orphanage in Macon, Georgia, Kurt never knew his real parents. He had a sister who was adapted out to a rich family. He heard she had gotten married but never knew her married name.

Kurt was disqualified for military service due to a crippled hand he was born with. He worked various jobs, lived with a woman for 7 years until she died, was a transient off and on, and was addicted to cigarettes and alcohol.

So I asked him how he came to know the CEO. There was no big magical moment or radical conversion in Kurt's life. He just up and decided one day to quit all of his addictions and vices and visit a church. He became a follower of Jesus and has been one ever since.

Kurt is a big believer in the CEO meeting all of his needs. He returned to the fair mother city last spring. He needed a bed roll and prayed for one. Then one evening while sitting in a downtown park, a freaking cop of all people pulls up and asks Kurt if he wants a bed roll, and pulls it out of the trunk. Yay CEO. And it's nice to finally hear a positive story about local law enforcement out of the mouth of a homeless man. Even the CEO's agents can exist within police-dom.

Kurt has spoken much prophecy into my life and the life of the izzy group about the CEO's provision. Kurt thinks the izzy group hung the moon. Which is funny...since he had only come around the original version of The Table at izzy for about 3-4 weeks. I remember him well as the sweet old man hunched over with the crippled hand who washed our dishes those 3 weeks. But I can't believe he'd remember me, my wife, The Bossman, or any of us like he has. After those few weeks Kurt had ended up in Salt Lake City for a few years before returning to the fair mother city.

Sadly...he looked all over for us on his return. And confusingly enough, another church and ministry to poor people occupy the building we were once in. But thankfully we found each other at the Baptist Beach Head.

Some real good news. I asked Kurt why he didn't receive social security since he was 68. He said it's because you have to have an address. But he's recently worked it out to use the BBH address and he should be getting his first monthly pay in March. He plans on getting an apartment real soon. When that day comes, I may post a plea for furniture donations and/or money to buy household items. Stay tuned.

Thank you Lord for returning our friendship and for providing for Kurt's needs.

3 comments:

Agent X said...

Count me in. I'll send a contribution to the Kurt cause.

Blessins....

Agent B said...

Thanks X. It's not official yet. If this happens (looks like it will) I'll make a post in a month or 2...

Agent X said...

I am coming to Abilene for the GST visit next week end. Could we meet? I could make a contribution in person. If you want to remain anonymous that's cool. But if you want to visit email me a way to make an appointment.

exum@sbcglobal.net

Many blessings...