Friday, September 30, 2005

more Shaman-isms

I am not a big fan of debt. Especially personal debt. I don't think it's "wrong" or a sin to borrow money, but the book's pretty clear in giving slavery analogies when talking about debt. And I love my freedom.

I have read about statistical reports on church's finances and what the average church spends on what. If I remember correctly, the average church spends something like...85-95% of its yearly budget on itself and the other 5-15% on some sort of missional outreach (feeding, clothing, gospel truth, etc). I almost couldn't believe it. In an election, 85% would be considered a landslide blow-out. No contest.

In light of The Shaman's recent teaching on "meeting vs. mission" imagine if these percentages were somehow reversed. 5-15% on the church and 85-95% on the mission. Another favorite quote of mine that The Shaman gave was something along the lines of, "Churches go into huge debt to buy properties for their meeting. Imagine the church going into debt to feed people".

No comments: