Saturday, September 17, 2005

Behind Blue Eyes

Trying to be undercover and anonymous as possible, I don't get to enjoy the full extent of blogging. Boo-hoo. For example, I only write what is relevant to Agent B - not my true identity. In other words...I don't get to post fun photos of my wife and family or get to fill out that blogger profile thingy to the full extent. Oh shudder...you'll never get to know what zodiac sign I am or how I might answer that nonsense question they give. On second thought, I'd answer that goofy question with: "What the hell kind of question is this?"

With my real identity, I might have several more notables in that 'favorite books' section. Under movies I would proudly state "none" rather than leave it blank. The "About Me" might be left blank until I could come up with a single intelligent sentence that didn't sound arrogant. So it would probably be left blank for years. And the "favorite music" section...that would be tricky as music is/was a major part of my existence, yet I absolutely hate to be pigeon-holed by what CDs (or books) someone finds on my shelf. I like all music. Well, almost all. So I'd probably leave that section blank. At least until I could think of something intelligent to write. In a few years.

But if there was ever a theme song for my Agent B gig, it would have to be "Behind Blue Eyes" by The Who. Ahh yes...The Who. Prophet Townsend and Prophet Daltrey are still my favorite prophets as mentioned in an earlier post.

"Behind Blue Eyes" probably isn't a good theme song to have. It's all about what I refer to as "victimology". You know, "Woa is me. I'm a victim. My life sucks and it's EVERYONE'S fault but mine" kind of thought path. I even refer to BBE as "the victim's anthem". And man...MANY of the folks I befriend and hang out with day to day grasp hold of victimology. They proudly wear it as their identity. "My life sucks 'cause of THIS, THIS, and THIS. And THIS happened when I was 5 years old..." and on and on. But the song describes their lives to a tee. The "character" in the song basically sings this sentimental ballad that 'you don't know how sucky my life is. You don't know what it's like to HAVE to lie, steal, etc'. Then the bridge section, my favorite bridge from ALL songs, rebelliously screams 'HEY - if you see me stumble and fall...PLEASE help me and pick me up'.

In the book, James mentions in chapters 4 & 5 that if we really want a life change...humble yourself. Confess your wrongs. And your "healing" will begin. I still believe that a reason folks in poverty seem to stay in that quagmire is denial of sins. To them...it's everybody else's fault. Not theirs. Or maybe they're not ready to confess. But like the bridge of BBE states, they're willing to help each other out when the 'reaping' arrives due to their 'sowing'.

Anyway...please. If any of you see me start to swallow something evil...shove your finger down my throat.

My fists are clenched...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great movie recomended back in the day by Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo comes to mind. I knew a guy who sold all that he had and gave it to the poor after watching 'brother sun sister moon'. Inspirational stuff.